RSS

Pages

Grey

It's been cold here lately. And grey. And the annual mid-semester breakdown where everyone contemplates saying "f--- college", running away and joining the circus is bearing down upon us here at AUC.

Tonight I let the shower run for 15 minutes before I got in. I wanted it to be good and hot. Scalding would be ideal.

Being the champion of water conservation among my friends, my normal shower lasts 5 minutes, no preheating.

Tonight, to hell with the water shortage in the Middle East, I lingered around in the shower three times longer than usual. As I stood in the midst of all that heat, the sand-colored tiles around me, the foggy shower glass, the sensation of itchiness which has been my constant companion since August 28, all melted away. It was only me and the water, cascading down everywhere, and I was somewhere warm and safe and happy.

Yesterday in class, freezing, I snuggled down into the shoulder of the t-shirt I was wearing. I was taken aback by how comforted I was, feeling the soft cotton rub against my cheek. Suddenly I was somewhere else where I was not stressed about midterms, or tired of my friends, or itchy. Home.

Yes, I'm finally feeling some twinges of homesickness.

I miss my mom and dad.
I miss the Cult.
I miss you all.

Sending my love from Egypt tonight across the Atlantic. 51 days until I get to feel warm, and safe, and loved, and welcome, and familiar.

0 "bhebek"s: